Is your database getting larger? Are you thinking of deleting the transients in your WordPress database using a WordPress cleanup plugin? Don’t! I did exactly that and paid a big price. Continue reading “LeadPages and WordPress Transients: 401 Unauthorized Errors”
Here’s the scenario: you need to restore a large MySQL Database to your WordPress website. PHYMyAdmin won’t let you do it, so it needs to be done via Command Line and SSH. Here are the steps to get it done.
When installing SavSoftQuiz, you might get a white, blank error page. That’s because the installation documents and instructions are missing a critical component to the installation.
To fix the blank, white page, do the following:
Go to /application/config/config.php and scroll down to around line 477 and look for:
$config[‘sess_save_path’] = ‘null’;
and change it to
$config[‘sess_save_path’] = ‘public_html/quiz/application/cache’;
Important Note: my installation is in http://www.MYDOMAIN.com/quiz so if your installation is in a different folder, change the red quiz folder above to the correct one you’re using. Or if it’s in the root, remove ‘quiz/’ completely.
Save the changes and the installation should go perfectly.
I really hope they fix their documentation page.
I just read an incredibly helpful post on Reddit about eliminating cockroach infestations. The original poster mentioned using gel bait and Combat to get rid of the roaches. But this commenter had a much better solution. Here it is for anyone having this problem… Continue reading “How to Eliminate & Permanently Get Rid of Cockroach Infestations”
I have a Brother HL-2230 Laser Printer and I just started printing hundreds of duplex prints for a school project. In case you don’t know, duplex printing is when you’re trying to print on the front and back of one single page. Unfortunately, the pages in my Brother HL-2230 kept getting creases during the printing of the second side and it was ruining my print outs. Well, I finally figured out the solution for preventing the creases on the second side. Continue reading “Brother HL-2230 Laser Printer Creases & Creasing on Manual Duplex Printing”
Are you running your DNS on Namecheap’s Advanced DNS Settings? Are you desperately trying to verify your Subdomain at Mailgun with no success? You’re not alone. I was recently able to verify my settings with the help of the this blog post. But I felt a screenshot was necessary to make it easier to understand. Continue reading “Namecheap Advanced DNS Settings for Verifying a Subdomain with Mailgun SPF & DomainKeys”
Quick post. The Avada theme is quite possibly the slowest theme I’ve used in a long, long time. I mean sloooow. I cannot recommend this all-in-one theme to anyone after using it for the past 6 months. Continue reading “Avada Theme and Performance is Really Slow! And Forget SEO!”
Trying to pass PCI Compliance with your Sophos UTM? Good luck. You can’t as of 12/15/2015. Maybe someday they’ll release an update that allows you to easily “check” a box. Until then, welcome to the Sophos Command Line!
Warning: I’m a Linux beginner. But these steps worked for me. By the way, Sophos said this voids the support warranty. When I pressed the issue, they stated it doesn’t void my support agreement. I still don’t understand what it voids so proceed with caution.
- In the Sophos Dashboard, go to Management > System Settings > Shell Access. Create a password for root and loginuser and click the “Set Specified Passwords” box. Then, make sure the network you’re connecting from is in Allowed Networks. Finally, make sure “Allow password authentication” is checked. Hit Apply and again, make sure the green “On/off” switch is ON at the top right corner.
- Go download and install Putty and WinSCP.
- Start with WinSCP. We’re going to make a backup, first.
- Enter the IP and Port (2222) and connect to your Sophos UTM.
- Go ‘up’ a few levels until you’re at the Root folder. Then, navigate towards the /var/chroot-httpd/etc/httpd directory.
- Download the httpd.conf file by dragging the file from the right side to the left side (like FTP).
- Great. We have a backup with the original text inside. Disconnect your session. I have no idea how to restore, btw. That’s how much I suck. But we have a backup!! 🙂
- Start Putty and connect to the same IP and port. We’re going to edit that same httpd.conf file in the command line.
- First, login with loginuser and press enter.
- Type su then press enter.
- Enter your root password and press enter.
- Type CD / and press enter. You’re at root now.
- Now type CD var/chroot-httpd/etc/httpd and press enter.
- To edit the file type vi httpd.conf and press enter.
- Use the down arrow key to scroll down near the bottom of the file. You’re looking for SSLProtocol +TLSv1 +TLSv1.1 +TLSv1.2
- Once you spot it, press the Insert key on your keyboard and use the keyboard to change the +TLSv1 to –TLSv1
- Press ESC to exit the editing mode.
- Now press : (you might have to press enter after typing the colon). This should take you to the bottom of the screen.
- After the : type x and press enter. This should save the file and get you back to the command line.
- At the command line, paste this entire code and hit enter to restart httpd:
- Once it restarts, at the command line, you can verify TLS 1.0 is disabled by pasting this line and pressing enter:
openssl s_client -connect localhost:4444 -tls1
- If properly disabled, it will say the handshake failed or something similar.
- Type quit and close Putty. You’re done.
Note: You’ll need to repeat these steps every time you update the Sophos UTM firmware. Thanks for nothing, Sophos. 😦
Huge thanks to Colorado State University for the VI commands above.
Here is a list of funny WiFi network names pulled from various sources.
- Wu-Tang LAN
- The LAN Before Time
- House LANnister
- Password is Taco
- 4 8 15 16 23 42
- This LAN is my LAN
- Bill Clinternet
- Router Roddy Piper
- Abraham Linksys
- Kings LANding
I just got the following promotion from BitsDuJour and StackSocial recently. It’s for “SkyHub Cloud Unlimited Backup: Lifetime Subscription” priced at a whopping one time payment of $89. I haven’t signed up or used this service, but I was curious…who are these people? And how can they offer lifetime backup for the cost of a 1tb external hard drive? I finally found the answer. Continue reading “SkyHub Cloud Unlimited Backup Lifetime Subscription Review”